( VS 2008 Workflow extensions for Sharepoint 2007 + 64 bit Windows 2003 server ) = MESS
Yes thats what I came to know today.
I have a VM installed that has 64 bit version of Win 2003 server installed, I got all my environment setup for the project on that VM. Now a few weeks into that project, when I am about to start the workflow bit on this SharePoint project, I find that the WF extensions installed on my machine are not working.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
As soon as I give the name of project (of Sharepoint 2007 Sequential Workflow ) and click OK. Boom. I see the error in dialog box. I click OK and go ahead but just not able to connect to my site in the next screen.
- I try by performing that same thing again, no, does not work.
- I restarted VS (its 2008), no, does not work.
- I restart the VM, no, does not work.
Only thing I can think of now, is probably my VS 2008 copy has gone corrupt.
So I try it out on my machine (not the VM, the one on which VM is installed), its Vista 32 bit box.
I see a different error. Do not remember the exact wording, it went something like this :
Cannot connect to a 64 bit Sharepoint server, please install 32 bit sharepoint
I went through all articles I could go on internet to find the solution (if any).
Came across these information bits :
- Its a known MS bug. Someone wrote in an article that it these sharepoint workflow extensions were never meant to be for 64 bit version, it was because some dev did not flipthe switch during the builds and the whole damn thing got release for 64 bit version too. So that means anyone trying to use them, would not be able to use them. (Do not waste any more time of yours in trying to use them on 64 bit, I have already wasted a lot today). A Bug has been raised and been close with remarks that it would be not fixed any time soon (as MS did not have enough resources to get that working!). So that means more wait till next release. More info here : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/50bba408-608a-42be-9d67-c9f00dc89a03
- Next option was to install Bamboo solution’s Helper file to get Sharepoint to run on Vista 32 bit box. I just did not want to do it, as this is some third party solution and not a standard one. If you think you would want to go ahead with it, try it out here http://community.bamboosolutions.com/media/p/193.aspx
- Third option is to build a new Virtual Machine with everything 32 bit on it. I am planning to go ahead with this, as this seems least hassle of all.