Prash's Blog

Sharepoint IdentityNotMappedException Some or all identity references could not be translated July 16, 2009

Filed under: SharePoint — prazjain @ 8:15 pm
Tags:

Error : Failed to create sample data

Exception : An exception of type System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Some or all identity references could not be translated.

How I got this error

Today while working on sharepoint to get Search working, I had a suspicion that my sharepoint installation might have got corrupted.

( Reason behind that is I had to rename my VM machine after installing sharepoint. As my VM was a copy of my colleague’s VM so we had same DB server names and other things which could mess things up.

So I followed the steps from one of the websites and it all seemed fine, until today when I could see some places where machine name / user names  etc were messed up because of which I could not get the search working in sharepoint.
)

So that meant either I revert back to a previous snapshot on my VM (and install all softwares I had installed since then ) or try installing Sql Server and Sharepoint again.

I chose the second option.

Both installed fine, but when it came to Configuration Wizard of Sharepoint, it failed at Task 8 : Failed to create sample data.

Exception

An exception of type System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Some or all identity references could not be translated.
System.Security.Principal.IdentityNotMappedException: Some or all identity references could not be translated.

Resolution

After googling it for some, I did these changes :

1) Remove all websites that had anything to do with sharepoint on my developer machine.

2) Remove application pools that had anything to do with sharepoint.

3) Added my current user LMACHINE\Administrator to my sql server 2005 instance as sys admin.

4) One of the application pools could not be deleted namely “Sharepoint – 80”, I investigated further and found that username was incorrect for this application pool. I corrected it and re-entered password.

Finally ran the Sharepoint Configuration wizard  again, and this time it worked !

What a relief.

The re-install of Sql Server 2005 and Sharepoint on my dev box, which according to estimates should have taken 30 mins, actually took 3 hours but how can you put that in a project plan.

Advertisements
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s