Today I setup Subversion on my home machine, after postponing it for ages.
Server : VisualSVN : Standard Edition Free
Client : TortoiseSVN
Client for Visual Studio : AnkhSVN
Installation of all of them was a breeze.
When setting up the server:
- Set installation Dir like J:\documents\svnserver\
- Set repository dir like J:\documents\svnserver\repositories
- Use VisualSVN Manager to create a dir in repositories like First, this will also ask you to setup a user. For now setup a user : Test, password : Test
- Create a project structure in repository directory First like MyFirstProject. This dir will then have 3 basic dir inside i.e. branch, tag, trunk.
- Now navigate to repository directory on server, you will see a directory by name “First”.
- Now create a directory “MyFirstProject” in “First” directory.
- Navigate to the directory MyFirstProject in local file system, and add one file or number of files. Right click on MyFirstProject and go to TortoiseSVN import.
- Choose trunk directory in svnserver and enter login details when asked, this will add these files to svn trunk for this project.
- Navigate to any directory on local file system, right click and go to tortoiseSVN -> Repo Browser -> Enter the repo url -> right click on the directory you want to get, and choose checkout.
- This will get all the code / files from that svn directory into your folder and you can now start working through svn and checkin-checkout files.